Friday, November 30, 2018

Badfish, A Retrospective



He
only used
his index fingers,
tapping one key at a time
until his words were complete,
scrap of torn
paper sticking out like a
bandage
on the mouth of the
typewriter.


I never knew how
to speak to him
when he was writing.
I never knew
how to look at him
or even breathe.
He’d escape and
I’d be left behind
with my bare legs and
messy hair.
Wild orange and
red
curtains
the backdrop to
our nights at the 1944
Remington Quiet Riter
he bought me for Christmas.


Into the distance
beyond those autumn
bedroom windows
there was a road that
stretched for miles
and miles
along the river,
no winds
or curves or
stop signs.
Lined with
trees and houses,
no street lights to
guide your way.
He looked
through the windows
into this road
for all of its worth
and finally decided to
remember everything
that he could
about the war.
About the only war
he would ever fight
apart that which
he fought with
himself.


His stories never brought me to tears.
Never made me upset.
I never thought to myself,
God,
I wish I had never
known this about him.
I wanted more
of him, wanted more
of his words,
more of his truth.
I wanted to know how
all of those people died
that he
had killed.
I wanted to know
exactly how
he ended their lives and
how it felt
to end them.
But
he would never
tell me such things…
he would never.
And I would never know
just as I
was never to know
what it was like
to walk for hundreds
of miles
of desert
in the same pair
of socks and
army-issued boots,
just to stop
suddenly
to end someone’s life
and then
just
move on along.


I do know
that he killed a pregnant woman.
She held a gun
to another man's head and
he reacted.
He used to have dreams about her.
Nightmares.
He used to
wake up
screaming
and
smack me across the ribs,
fighting to wake up
from a reality
he would never
be able to shake.
A cold look in his eyes,
sweat on his forehead,
he growled at me
as I tried to hold him and
he tried to
shake himself free…


I opened the bedroom window and
we drank red wine
straight from the bottle and
put cigarettes out on the carpet.
Any time that
we were able to
sleep or
fuck
it was on a mattress
on the floor,
only on days we
were drinking the moment
we woke up in the morning.
By afternoon
we’d be
at the piano
in the living room,
pounding out our misery in song
until he’d get bored or
sober
and disappear for a few hours.
But he was always back by morning.


Sometimes
we’d hide
at our favorite dive bar…
him playing pool and
me at the bar,
reading a book and
drinking until I couldn’t feel
anything
anymore.
Then stumble home,
him whispering
my black beauty,
don’t let them steal your heat.


Roll onto the living room floor,
locking out his
stoned friends
tearing at each other until
our arms were weak and
we could only think
of sleep
and our small place
to hide
in the corner of my room.
He called me Clint.
I called him Clyde.
Trouble was
putting it lightly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home